Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lil Ninja

Somewhere between sleep and awake I feel an urgency wash over me.  I can’t really tell yet if I’m dreaming or awake.  I toss and turn a bit and snooze a little longer.  I am woken again by this feeling.  A little more awake this time I decide its time to get up.
I open our bedroom door and there he is.  Yep.  He did it again.  A, (that’s what we call him) got out of his room, quietly I might add, and was petering around in the kitchen.  It must have been like a treasure trove to him, alone… in the kitchen… at last!  I wonder if he wrung his chubby little hands and narrowed his eyes when he realized all the mischief he could create before Mom and Dad got up.  I’d bet he did.
Somehow, someway he was able to get the top part of his baby gate down (again… did I mention that part?) and climb over the remains to a wide world of uninhibited freedom.  (We should all be so lucky.)
The baby gate is one of those old plastic mesh looking ones that have the adjustable sides with metal poles that you have to stand on end and twist up and down at the same time.  Its not like our other one where you just reach to the other side and pull up the lock.  (He mastered that long before he could walk if I remember right.)  Anyway, it takes some doing.
Our door frames, poor mistreated things, have little rings dug into the wood from us trying to wedge it in so good that he can’t twist it off.  (He’s freakishly strong.)  Sadly, the doorframe is no match for A.  He wins every time, no matter how tight we make it.  So now what, we buy a straight jacket so we can sleep at night?  *shrug*  Who knows.  Maybe, if we let him keep exploring we could wake one morning to find he’s cooked us breakfast.  That could be nice… I think.

0 comments: